Monday, April 21, 2008

Could have been weird...

Growing up in a small town, everyone pretty much dated everyone, and if you didn't actually date them, then you knew all about their relationship anyways.

We went to a birthday party on Saturday and pregnancy brain is officially in force. Not for one second did I think about who would or would not be at the party. Well I really should have thought about it so that I was totally blindsided when we got there and realized that Husbands ex-girlfriend was there. They dated for about 6 years in high school and after -- but that was about 6 years ago. We can be polite people and not make a scene at a 3 year old's birthday party, so for the most part we steered clear of her. But man o' man was I happy that Husband decided to go to this party. Normally this is something I would do all on my own, and I'm okay with that. When we got there, I went to set the present down and Husband and KM went to play on the jungle gym. The birthday party was at the park. As he was walking up the hill, he thought to himself "Oh shit, Ex-Girlfriend his here." I was shortly behind him, and had the exact same thought when I saw her. I think she said hello to Husband, but ex-girlfriend and I didn't talk. We went back down the hill to eat and have cake, then afterwards back up the hill to play. I really think it was bugging her that I was there with him (Husband) and our wonderfully cute child, and pregnant. If she didn't think we were having sex before, now she KNOWS for sure.

We were such the cute family. Playing on the jungle gym, flying our kite, blowing bubbles, digging in the sand, riding the marry-go-round while Husband pushed us. It was disgusting how cute we were. And the whole time I think it was just reminding her that her husband was not there, and he was not as good as mine. {Petty much?! Yup, that's me.}

Then later after we left, I told Husband how glad I was that he came, and we talked about her for a minute. I thought she was married, but couldn't remember. I guess she is. Then we talked about her kid. Her daughter is cute enough I guess, but Husband said "she's not nearly as cute as ours." I busted out laughing because I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing at the park but would never say it out loud, at least not before someone else did. I know every parent thinks there kid is the cutest, but ours would totally win over hers! Yup, we are also shallow people.

I know life is not a competition, and I'm sure she's perfectly happy. But really I know she's not, because when she was leaving the party I heard her say she was going to drop off her daughter then she was going out to get drunk. That her husband was "on duty" or "in charge" for the night, and I could just tell by the tone in her voice that things were not that great.

When husband and I decide to get drunk because we need to drink to put up with KM some days, we drink together. We go out together. Some of our best conversations have been after a few cocktails, in our driveway at 1am after KM was in bed. I don't drink to get away from him, and I know he doesn't drink to get away from me.

It's just funny how life was so much more complicated back in high school than it is now. Ex-girlfriend always hated me because she thought I wanted Husband back then. It couldn't have been farther from the truth. I had a boyfriend and I was happy. Husband and I were just friends. It's just interesting how all these years later, we are married and happy and welcoming one more monkey to the group soon. I just never would have pictured this 6 years ago, but I am glad it's going this way, and can't wait to see where we go next.

No comments: