Monday, October 23, 2006

I'm an Adult

My mom came over on Saturday to help watch the baby while I was working on unpacking and cleaning the house. One of my first tasks was to hang up the curtains I had just bought. I had them almost completely done, when my mom walks in and starts telling me how wrong I was doing it and that I should check the height and they should hang lower, and that there needs to be something behind them.

Then I went down stairs to hang up the blinds I had. Again with the telling me I should pre-drill the holes, and hold it out from the window and this and that and a few other things. I snapped!

"If you want to stand here all day and tell me what to do you can go home!" and I meant it. I was tired of her telling me what to do. She laughed but I was serious. This was my house and I would hang as I please. Things were much better for the rest of the day. I think it needed to be said.

I am an adult with my own child, my own husband, my own house, my own truck, my own everything and I didn't need her telling me what to do. I can figure it out, and if it's wrong, well then so be it. Since I am an adult, I will fix it.

I know she means well, but some days I am not in the mood.

No comments: